Monday, November 06, 2006

33 weeks completed

Another week passes and the baby has grown another 1cm hopefully. The baby is putting on fat now rather than developing the organs further. The lungs are quite advanced now and the main project is to fill out between now and the birth.

We had our first antenatal class last week at St Georges which was better than I had expected. It was a pretty big class with 12 other couples there so not much individual attention but it is a very generaal class. Last Tuesday we covered the first stage of labour and looked around the labour ward and postnatal ward. Given the state of most hospitals I was pleasantly surprised by the ward. The delivery rooms look fine and the water birth room could even be described as quite nice - huge room with a big birthin pool, beanbags and lots of space. They only have one pool room and it is occupied on a first come first served basis, so you have to time it right! The postnatal rooms are 4 bed wards but you can pay £35 per night to get a private room which will be well worth doing if they are not already occupied by high priority cases.

The latest antenatal appointment on Saturday was OK, although after feeling pretty firmly around the uterus the midwife concluded that the baby is in a transverse position. This is not great, but apparently nothing to worry about now. They will check on the position next time - at 36 weeks and if it is not head down by then, it'll be more cause for concern. You can worry yourself by reading a lot of reports on the internet about transverse babies, ruptured uterus' etc, but I will be thinking positive thoughts about gettin the baby in the right place and trying to do some exercises to help. One suggestion is to shine a torch down below! - to encourage the baby to move its head towards the light - worth a go, but quite hilarious. I had thought the lumps sticking out by my belly button was its bum, but it must have been the head. I just hope I haven't been poking it in the eye!

I feel OK but tired. Had a bad night of sleep last night and am feeling exhausted today, so plan to leave work early to get some kip in before dinner. Baby is moving lots and hiccuping up to 3 times daily, sometimes for over 15 mins at a go.

My iron level is low so have just started taking Pregaday to boost it. Hopefully I will not feel so tired once this starts to have an effect. But the side effects are numerous so fingers crossed that I don't suffer from these.

On another note - mummy had to go to hospital last night due to abdominal pains that had become increasingly painful over the past few days. They don't know what is wrong so far and are still investigating, but it is horrible to think of her staying overnight in hospital. Only last week she was hiking up lots of moutains in Madeira. The really awful bit is just not knowing what is wrong and suspecting bad things. It is truly horrid to think of one's parents being ill. I have only had to contemplate this once before when Daddy had to spend some time in hospital with a suspected anuerism and it shocks the system to realise one's parents are fallable. No matter how old I am or they are, in my mind they will go on forever as they have always been there. The vague notion that they won't is not an easy one to accept.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home